Skip to main content

Upcoming SHF Avengers figures



 I've started noticing some upcoming S.H. Figuarts Avengers figures are showing up on Instagram. It looks like we'll be getting some more of the characters to help finish making up the team.

I was hoping that they would do a Captain Marvel, but now that I'm seeing photos, my excitement has lessened. This figure does NOT look like Brie Larson to me. In classic SHF style, sometimes they get the face sculpt right, other times it's just off. This one looks very off to me:



 Looking at the comparison photo with her actual face and the figure, yes, it's definitely off. The eyebrows need to be brought in more, colored darker, the lips seem to have this odd gap in the front, and it could benefit from some shading. That sucks because otherwise, the body looks great!



 Ok, next one. Nebula. This one looks GREAT IMO. The face sculpt absolutely looks like Karen Gillan to me. This may be one I'd consider getting. I always liked Nebula, she was a fun anti-hero.


 
Next up is Winter Soldier's Bucky. I had just read on a forum somewhere, a few days ago, that a poster had hoped they'd release a Winter Soldier Bucky. Well looks like we're getting one. I think it looks decent. I like this MUCH better than the Infinity War Bucky we got, the face on that one was just bad! This one looks more like Sebastian Stan, right down to his longer hair and stubble from his part in that flick. And Captain America also looks good. Since he's wearing a mask, it seems that they have less room to mess up his face (which was just weird on the Infinity War figure).
 


Loki. He looks GREAT! That face sculpt is absolutely Tom Hiddleston! And the details on his suit look great as well. I can't tell from this photo if his cape will be cloth or plastic. I'm really hoping for cloth. Their plastic capes tend to look nice but mostly just get in the way of the sculpt.
 
 

 The last figure I've seen is Scarlett Witch. This one is also pretty decent. The face sculpt isn't bad. It looks a lot like Elizabeth Olsen to me. They could make her eyes a little bigger to really nail the look, but from what I see on this, it's passable.

But really, with Figuarts, you can't always judge the photos from the actual figure, and in some cases, the final product tends to be different than the promo pics. Sometimes improved, sometimes not (e.g. Gamera 99, the promo pics had his face sculpt and paint looking flawless, the actual figures I've seen others get have sloppy paint on the bottom row of teeth that make it stand out). We'll have to see how these Avengers end up coming out. There's a few I might pick up.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla Minus One

Right before the opening of the new Toho film Godzilla Minus One in the US, I received the figure from Bandai Tamashii Nations from that film. It was officially released last weekend, and about a day before that, some photos were popping up online of the final product, appearing with a very dark and bad paint job. Drama rose up in one of the kaiju figure groups I'm a part of, with one idiot in particular proclaiming that the S.H. MonsterArts line was done, despite having not gotten the actual figure in hand before he could judge for himself. After multiple posts trashing the figure and stating that Bandai was dead, he received the figure and then gave it a good rating (8 out of 10), making himself look like a damn fool in the process. I admit that those initial photos had me worried, but I decided to wait until I saw some YouTube reviews to see how it actually turned out to make my judgement (I pre-ordered it from a site where you don't pay for it until it's actually in sto

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 1991 Shinjuku Decisive Battle version

The latest Godzilla figure I pre-ordered from the S.H. MonsterArts line has arrived. It is the 1991 Shinjuku Decisive Battle version, to go along with the Mecha King Ghidorah release from earlier this year. While the suit is almost the same as the one used in 1989's Godzilla vs. Biollante, they made some slight adjustments. Compared to the BioGoji figure, this one is much thicker, therefore, he does look different from that other release. His sculpt is the classic 90's era Heisei look, with small head, thick thighs, large dorsal spines and a long tail. Like all the other Godzilla suits of that decade, he has a cat-like face, both cute and menacing. While the King of the Monsters has had multiple looks throughout his 50+ years, it's the Heisei era that seems the most iconic. Artwork, toys, comics, etc, have all utilized this particular design. Similar to the 89 suit, this 91 figure has a small set of dorsal spines, followed by a much larger one, and then gradually getting sm

S.H. Monsterarts Rodan &Mothra 2019 set

My Rodan and Mothra set finally arrived after being delayed for a few weeks. After spending a few days going over them, I've had time to really assess them. They're both decent, but there are some issues. Let's dig in! As far as sculpt, Rodan fairs better than Mothra. Everything from the wings, face, torso and legs on Rodan are well done and nicely capture his condor-like look from the film. The face, legs and body of Mothra is sculpted in a very simple, dull manner, lacking any real detail or pattern. Part of it I think is that her body is so small it doesn't leave much room for details. Another thing that was pointed out to me by someone on social media is that Monsterarts may have based their Mothra on early concept artwork as opposed to her actual look in the film. The result is a smooth, crude design that, upon close inspection, resembles a Play-Do sculpture. If this was the case, Tamashii Nations really should've waited until they saw w