Skip to main content

Upcoming SHF Avengers figures



 I've started noticing some upcoming S.H. Figuarts Avengers figures are showing up on Instagram. It looks like we'll be getting some more of the characters to help finish making up the team.

I was hoping that they would do a Captain Marvel, but now that I'm seeing photos, my excitement has lessened. This figure does NOT look like Brie Larson to me. In classic SHF style, sometimes they get the face sculpt right, other times it's just off. This one looks very off to me:



 Looking at the comparison photo with her actual face and the figure, yes, it's definitely off. The eyebrows need to be brought in more, colored darker, the lips seem to have this odd gap in the front, and it could benefit from some shading. That sucks because otherwise, the body looks great!



 Ok, next one. Nebula. This one looks GREAT IMO. The face sculpt absolutely looks like Karen Gillan to me. This may be one I'd consider getting. I always liked Nebula, she was a fun anti-hero.


 
Next up is Winter Soldier's Bucky. I had just read on a forum somewhere, a few days ago, that a poster had hoped they'd release a Winter Soldier Bucky. Well looks like we're getting one. I think it looks decent. I like this MUCH better than the Infinity War Bucky we got, the face on that one was just bad! This one looks more like Sebastian Stan, right down to his longer hair and stubble from his part in that flick. And Captain America also looks good. Since he's wearing a mask, it seems that they have less room to mess up his face (which was just weird on the Infinity War figure).
 


Loki. He looks GREAT! That face sculpt is absolutely Tom Hiddleston! And the details on his suit look great as well. I can't tell from this photo if his cape will be cloth or plastic. I'm really hoping for cloth. Their plastic capes tend to look nice but mostly just get in the way of the sculpt.
 
 

 The last figure I've seen is Scarlett Witch. This one is also pretty decent. The face sculpt isn't bad. It looks a lot like Elizabeth Olsen to me. They could make her eyes a little bigger to really nail the look, but from what I see on this, it's passable.

But really, with Figuarts, you can't always judge the photos from the actual figure, and in some cases, the final product tends to be different than the promo pics. Sometimes improved, sometimes not (e.g. Gamera 99, the promo pics had his face sculpt and paint looking flawless, the actual figures I've seen others get have sloppy paint on the bottom row of teeth that make it stand out). We'll have to see how these Avengers end up coming out. There's a few I might pick up.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...