Skip to main content

NECA Godzilla 89 (BioGoji)


NECA's latest figures have dropped. They have given us a 1989 suit (from Godzilla vs. Biollante) and a 2003 suit (from Tokyo S.O.S.). I went ahead and ordered the 89 figure as I liked it's look best from the promo shots (plus, I already own the S.H. Monsterarts Godzilla 2002 and I'm happy with that figure). Now that I have BioGoji in hand I can say he turned out fantastic.






The box art is a duplication of the classic poster from the film. When you open the "door" it has a photo of the figure in the water, surrounded by Biollante's spores, duplicating a scene from the film. I really love how NECA has upped their game with great, detailed boxes that make the entire package that much nicer. The only accessory BioGoji comes with is a blue atomic breath piece. It fits perfectly in his mouth and is a nice blueish/white color with a swirling pattern. As for the figure, it's wonderfully sculpted and nicely painted. Mine had no QC paint issues that tend to happen on some of their figures. He's basically dark grey with tannish fingers and toes, and whiter highlights on his dorsal spines. His eyes a brownish hue with white pupils. With the creases and folds of his body, as well as his segmented tail and accurately sculpted dorsal spines, it all results in one of their best Godzilla releases to date. They've been on an roll these last few years, releasing truly great figures, and 89 is no exception!




The articulation on 89 is quite impressive. He has a ball jointed neck and head that has a good range up and down and side to side, his mouth can open and close, his torso can swivel and move forward, his arms can move out, swivel around, with hinged elbows, wrists and fingers, his thighs can move out, swivel around, hinged and swivel knees that have a decent amount of range, and his feet that can rock side to side a bit. And finally his tail that's segmented, with the final section having a bendy wire. You can get his tail into a nice S pose, as well as move it up, down and to the sides all nicely. Nothing pops off either. When you see how far NECA has come with their Godzilla figures, it shows how much care they put into improving them and giving the fans the best. I had a lot of fun posing and messing with this BioGoji.







One cool thing is that the atomic breath effect pieces that came with the 62 and 64 releases fit nicely in BioGoji's mouth as well. I love how accurate this figure looks to the suit. The face is a bit on the "cutesy" side, but it's not too bad. I love his super long tail and those dorsal spines are perfect. A lot of the younger fans fell in love with Godzilla because of the Heisei films that spanned from 1989 to 1995, while the older fans like myself were psyched to see Toho producing newer G films, and to see an affordable, highly articulated version from that era is great.




And now for the bad news. It seems that NECA will no longer be producing Godzilla merchandise. Seeing how much their Godzilla figures improved these last 2 years, it really sucks, as they were upping their game and giving S.H. Monsterarts a run for their money. This 89 release is just as good as anything Tamashii Nations has put out, albeit much cheaper. This news has the collecting community bummed out. I was really looking forward to seeing what G suit they would do next. It seems that 89 and 2003 will be their final hurrah as far as Godzilla goes. But at least I can say that they went out on a very high note, as BioGoji is an outstanding figure.




So my final thoughts are: if you're a fan of the 89 Godzilla suit, then go out and buy this figure NOW! It's great, wonderfully sculpted and has awesome articulation. Many of the YouTube reviews I'm seeing are praising this guy to high heaven and saying that it's the better of the two releases. The 2003 Godzilla looks good, but the head and neck articulation on that one is just odd. I'm glad I passed on it. NECA will release special color version of 89 and 2003 next, and that will be it. So go out and get them while you can!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...