Skip to main content

S.H. Figuarts Momotaros


My next October import is S.H. Figuarts Momotaros from the Kamen Rider series. I'll admit, I haven't watched a lot of the Kamen Rider shows. I've only seen the very first one, Amazon and a handful of episodes/clips of some of the newer shows. However, I really liked the look of this figure, with his red devil face, so I pre-ordered it. I've watched enough YouTube reviews to know that the Figuarts Kamen Rider line has had some really great figures that are much loved by collectors. Let me say that I am extremely impressed with Momotaros. He's one of their best releases this year.







He comes with a sword, a coffee cup and saucer, and a total of 6 pairs of hands, plus 1 extra right hand to hold his coffee cup. The others are fists, relaxed (to fit the saucer), open, sword holding, pointing and thumbs up (or self pointing, or down, depending on how you turn it). The coffee cup and saucer are white with a nice black modern design. As for the details of the sculpt, Tamashii Nations did an awesome job. There are creases on his leather like body suit, seams on the back of his boots, and his armor plates on his shins, thighs, wrists, shoulders and chest are a vibrant bright red with black lines that are all painted well. They did a hell of a job with so many little details, he looks simply fantastic. I love his demonic face, with those long, pointy horns. Even his sword is nicely designed. Momotaros is a quality sculpt from head to toe.









While his unique look was what drew me in, it was his articulation that made me raise a fist and let out an enthusiastic HELL YEAH! Tamashii Nations went all out with his joints, making for an extremely fun figure to pose. Momotaros comes with his head on a ball joint, neck that also clicks forward, wonderful upper torso and waist ball joints that smoothly crunch and pivot in all directions, hinged ball jointed shoulders and thighs (with slight butterfly joint at shoulders), upper arm and thigh cuts, double jointed elbows and knees that also swivel, hinged ankles that have great ranged in all directions, and toe hinge. You can get this guy in kicking, crouching, kneeling, sitting, one legged poses and action stances, and he holds them all beautifully. When Figuarts hits a homerun, they knock it out of the park, and this figure's articulation flies all the way across town. I had such a blast posing and messing with this dude that he's my vote for figure of the year. There's still a few months left, but Momotaros has set the bar so high that I doubt anyone else will top it.







Momotaros has turned out to be such a pleasant surprise. The final product turned out so much better than I expected. Since he's a character I'm not too familiar with, purchasing him was like a collector's version of finding gold. I had the same experience when I purchased some of Jazzwares' Legendary Series Fortnite characters, though I am more familiar with the Kamen Rider series, due to my love of Japanese Tokusatsu.






S.H. Figuarts Momotaros is a damn good release. Impressive articulation, a cool sculpt and a nice selection of accessories make him an absolute winner! I give him very enthusiastic 10, he's one of Tamashii Nation's best figures of 2020.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...