Skip to main content

Mafex Mera (from Aquaman)


After what seemed like an eternity, with multiple delays, Mafex has finally released their Mera figure from the Aquaman film. Mafex has a tendency to delay releases (I believe their Infinity War Captain America has been delayed twice already), so if you pre-order something from them, it may be a whole year until it finally reaches you. 






The figure comes with two heads (one with hair flowing to the side and the other wearing a crown), 5 pairs of hands (fists, holding, and 3 different open palm variants), an extra pair of hands shooting water, 6 wine spears, a stand for the wine spears, a stand to hold the shooting water, a stand for the figure, and the cannister thing (I forgot the name of it) that she and Aquaman used to unlock a holographic message that leads them to find the trident of Atlan. Mera is dressed in a bluish/turqoise body suit, with long red hair and the symbol of Atlantis on her torso. The body suit is quite detailed, with scale-like patterns all throughout. As for the face sculpts, they're not entirely accurate to the actress. At certain angles she resembles Amy Adams, which is just fine by me, now that Amber Heard has been exposed as a liar (see her divorce drama with Johnny Depp). It's because of this issue with the actress that I wondered if that's why this figure got delayed so many times. I found it quite funny that the clamshell case was placed backwards in the box, so you couldn't see the figure's face. I like the character of Mera. The actress? Not so much. But anyway....




The stands for the wine spears were easy to put together, though one of the clip-on pegs was missing the ball at the end that pops into an opening inside the spear. I think it snapped off when I was putting it together. Also, the holes in the spear are hard to see since they're a solid translucent red. I don't plan on displaying her like this anyway, so I could always use those stands for something else. The other ones, for her water effects, are decent. There are 2 tall holders and 2 shorter holders, so you can adjust them as you please.








As for articulation, she comes with ball jointed head and neck, swiveled ball jointed elbows with butterfly joint, double jointed elbows and knees, ball jointed thighs, hands on ball peg, upper torso and waist on ball joints, and ball jointed ankles. Her arms and legs can spread out quite far, making for a good range of action poses. Even though her feet end in narrow heels, she can still stand quite well on her own. Also, her hair is a soft plastic, so it doesn't get in the way of moving the head.







I don't own the Mafex Aquaman from his solo film. While it's a decent figure, something about the arms looked off to me. I only own a Mattel version, which doesn't have great articulation but is decent enough. And Mera is in scale with that figure, as well as my other 1:12 figures. The color of her body suit really stands out among the others in my collection, much brighter than her Justice League look (though I did like that outfit as well).






Overall I'd say that Mafex Mera is a good figure. She has great articulation, a great sculpt, nice colors and lots of accessories. I've heard rumblings that many collectors are choosing to skip out on this figure because of the Amber Heard drama, though she was first announced and up for pre-order before any of that came to light. I can't fault anyone for not wanting this figure. But I do like the character of Mera, I think her ability to manipulate water is unique. And honestly, this is the one rare occasion where I don't mind that the face sculpt isn't totally accurate. I'll just pretend my Mera is played by Amy Adams. LOL!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla Minus One

Right before the opening of the new Toho film Godzilla Minus One in the US, I received the figure from Bandai Tamashii Nations from that film. It was officially released last weekend, and about a day before that, some photos were popping up online of the final product, appearing with a very dark and bad paint job. Drama rose up in one of the kaiju figure groups I'm a part of, with one idiot in particular proclaiming that the S.H. MonsterArts line was done, despite having not gotten the actual figure in hand before he could judge for himself. After multiple posts trashing the figure and stating that Bandai was dead, he received the figure and then gave it a good rating (8 out of 10), making himself look like a damn fool in the process. I admit that those initial photos had me worried, but I decided to wait until I saw some YouTube reviews to see how it actually turned out to make my judgement (I pre-ordered it from a site where you don't pay for it until it's actually in sto

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 1991 Shinjuku Decisive Battle version

The latest Godzilla figure I pre-ordered from the S.H. MonsterArts line has arrived. It is the 1991 Shinjuku Decisive Battle version, to go along with the Mecha King Ghidorah release from earlier this year. While the suit is almost the same as the one used in 1989's Godzilla vs. Biollante, they made some slight adjustments. Compared to the BioGoji figure, this one is much thicker, therefore, he does look different from that other release. His sculpt is the classic 90's era Heisei look, with small head, thick thighs, large dorsal spines and a long tail. Like all the other Godzilla suits of that decade, he has a cat-like face, both cute and menacing. While the King of the Monsters has had multiple looks throughout his 50+ years, it's the Heisei era that seems the most iconic. Artwork, toys, comics, etc, have all utilized this particular design. Similar to the 89 suit, this 91 figure has a small set of dorsal spines, followed by a much larger one, and then gradually getting sm

S.H. Monsterarts Rodan &Mothra 2019 set

My Rodan and Mothra set finally arrived after being delayed for a few weeks. After spending a few days going over them, I've had time to really assess them. They're both decent, but there are some issues. Let's dig in! As far as sculpt, Rodan fairs better than Mothra. Everything from the wings, face, torso and legs on Rodan are well done and nicely capture his condor-like look from the film. The face, legs and body of Mothra is sculpted in a very simple, dull manner, lacking any real detail or pattern. Part of it I think is that her body is so small it doesn't leave much room for details. Another thing that was pointed out to me by someone on social media is that Monsterarts may have based their Mothra on early concept artwork as opposed to her actual look in the film. The result is a smooth, crude design that, upon close inspection, resembles a Play-Do sculpture. If this was the case, Tamashii Nations really should've waited until they saw w