Skip to main content

Mafex Captain America Infinity War Version


After multiple delays, Mafex finally released their Infinity War Captain America figure, which was announced a looooong time ago. This was the last of my May pre-orders, and he was delivered (via DHL) on Memorial Day, to my surprise. Now that I have him in hand, I can say the wait was worth it. Mafex did an awesome job.







Cap comes loaded with lots of accessories, and completely blows the S.H. Figuarts version out of the water! Mafex included 2 head sculpts (regular and gritting teeth), 6 pairs of hands (fists, relaxed, open palm, pointing, shield holding and spear holding), 2 sets of Wakanda shields (closed and open), a Mafex stand, and 2 spears from the Black Order scene where he, Falcon and Black Widow appeared to help out Wanda and Vision. They gave us everything you can possibly want, which is awesome, considering the pathetic release that we got from Tamashii Nations that didn't even include his Wakanda shields.


The head sculpts turned out surprisingly impressive. The serious face looks just like the actor. This is the best Chris Evans in the 1:12 scale from a general release. It's so much better than the atrocious Figuarts, which ended up looking like a cheap wax museum figure. The gritting teeth face, however, doesn't look as good as the promo pics (see pic above, bottom row). It still looks ok, but less intense. And the lines of his teeth aren't painted, so it looks like he has something in his mouth. The other one, though, perfection.



I love that Mafex has included plastic peg holders for the hands. It allows you to store them more easily, plus, having them mounted on the pegs keeps the holes open, so they slide right onto the hand peg with ease. The Wakanda shields and the 2 spears are both wonderfully sculpted and detailed. I love the gold color and stripes with the blue handle, and the streak of blue on the 3-pronged one. They did not have to include these 2 accessories, but Mafex likes to give fans their money's worth, so here they are and I'm happy to have them.






The details of his suit are impressive, from the torn off star in the front, with wear and tear around it, to the dirty, gritty look of it, the rolled up sleeves, and straps of his boots. They put a lot of effort into making him as accurate as possible, and it shows.






Cap's articulation is good. Head and neck are on ball joints, shoulders are on hinged ball joints with pivot, bicep swivel, double jointed elbows and knees, ball jointed upper torso and waist, ball jointed, drop down thighs, and upper boot cut. His ankles are on pivots, but due to the sculpt of his boots, they don't have much range at all. That's about the only issue with his otherwise great joints. Since his harness hangs higher around his shoulders, they block the arms from coming all the way down, but I don't really mind that, and you can always turn his bicep swivels in for a more neutral look. He can still achieve good action poses. The holding hands for the Wakanda shields are very easy to put on. I simply put the hands over the handle, then slide his arm into the harness and attach the peg into his wrist. 







He's perfectly in scale with the rest of my Figuarts Avengers, as well as the rest of my 1:12 figures. I'm really glad I passed on the Figuarts version, which turned out disappointing. I've always wanted a bearded Cap from Infinity War, and I'm happy that Mafex finally delivered a great one.





Mafex Infinity War Captain America is everything I hoped it would be and then some. Great sculpt, good articulation and impressive amount of accessories all add up to a great figure. They may take a while to finally release a character, but once it drops, it's worth it. I've been satisfied with every Mafex figure I've ever gotten thus far. When a new Figuarts drops, I've been starting to see an increasing number of fans say that they will wait to see if Mafex puts out a version of said character, as they tend to give us more bang for your buck. Cap was absolutely worth waiting for, even if it took several years after the film's release for us to get a great 1:12 scale IW Steve Rogers. Well done, Mafex!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...