Skip to main content

MEGO Phantom of the Opera Masque of Red Death


I was strolling through Target when I came across this curious figure. It had that retro feel, and it’s a horror figure, so I bought it. The company MEGO has released several horror figures, including a regular Phantom of the Opera, Dracula, Wolfman, Nosferatu… This Masque of Red Death is very arresting, with its red body, hat and cloak, sinister skull smile and very creepy eyes.







The head, arms, legs and body of the figure are plastic, while his hat is a soft plastic and his cape, shirt and pants are cloth. The cape simply fits over the head but can be removed, making him look like he’s wearing fancy red pajamas underneath. The eye sockets are grey with black pupils, and the way they’re painted, they appear to be following you as you turn the head. A very simple but fun gimmick.










The articulation is not as expressive as modern figures, but he’s still quite poseable. His head is on a swivel that can turn fully around. His elbows and knees  are single jointed, his wrists are on a hinge and swivel that allow for lots of direction. His shoulders, torso and thighs are interesting, held in place by a strong rubber band. This causes his arms to fall back in place if you don’t twist them just right. Very retro indeed.









He stands 8 inches tall, so he’s much taller than imports such as S.H. Figuarts, Figma and Mafex, but he’s perfectly in scale with NECA horror figures, so that works out just dandy. He comes in a cool retro card with some info on the back of it. It reminds me of the 70’s VIC’s rubber Creature From The Black Lagoon figure I used to own as a kid, that also came on a card. My Dad probably bought me that toy about 3 times when I was young; he knew I loved monsters. There’s still an old photo at my parent’s house in an album that shows me with my brother and holding my rubber Creature toy. I loved that thing. This MEGO Phantom brings to mind those great memories.








MEGO Phantom of the Opera Masque of Red Death is a fun figure to own. His blood red clothes and skull face are irresistible if you’re a horror buff like me. Perhaps I’ll make him a scythe to complete his deathly look. He’ll definitely fit well on my Halloween display. If you love retro style horror figures and don’t mind his odd rubber band articulation, definitely pick him up.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...