Skip to main content

Jada Toys Universal Monsters Creature From The Black Lagoon


When I saw early reviews of these new 6" Universal Monsters figures, I knew that I had to get the Creature, as he's always been my favorite. He came out looking spiffy, and I'm psyched to finally have a nice articulated Gill Man in my collection.








This infamous monster is wonderfully sculpted and painted. I love the darker striped lines throughout his body, as well as his various fins, scales, webbed hands and feet, and that unforgettable face. His simple yet unique design is now iconic, and countless other films attempted their own aquatic creature, from U.S. efforts like The Monster of Piedras Blancas and Humanoids From The Deep, to the goofy Mexican Swamp of the Lost Monster from the 1960's. A fish man even appeared from Japan's Tsuburaya, the kaiju known as Ragon. But the Creature has always remained the top dog, or should I say fish? The first film was so successful that Universal went and made 2 more, the last one being the bizarre Creature Walks Among Us, where a mad scientists attempts to humanize the Gill Man. I always got a chuckle at how each movie ended with the same scene, of the monster floating dead in the water. 






The accessories include an alternate head with the mouth closed, a spear gun, a net, an extra right holding hand, and a mummified skeletal hand. Jada Toys included just about everything needed to make this a worthy release. The only other thing I could think of would be to include a Julie Adams figure to go along with Gill Man, but then it would've been a 2 figure set and a bit more pricey. I find the closed mouth face slightly goofier, though it's still undeniably the Creature. There is a shade of red under his eyes, and I noticed that it's darker on the open mouth head. Other than that, both portraits accurately capture his fishy face.









His articulation includes head that's on a ball peg, allowing him to look in all directions, hinged, ball jointed shoulders, double jointed elbows and knees, bicep and upper thigh swivels, ball jointed upper chest and waist, ball jointed thighs, swiveled ankle pivot, and swiveled wrists. His joints are just as good as most Marvel Legends figures, so you won't have too many issues posing him, whether it's in a classic monster attack stance, or sitting for cocktail hour. I wonder if he drinks seaweed margaritas or salt water beer. But anyway.....









At 6", he scales well with most Marvel Legends, is shorter than NECA horror figures (which are about 8"), and towers over imports, such as S.H. Figuarts. Much of the stuff in my collection are horror and monster toys, so his size difference doesn't bother me much anyway. I'm just glad to finally have a good Gill Man figure, as I've loved the character since I first saw the movie as a young child. I even had the old rubber toy as a kid, this one:


Jada Toys Universal Monsters Creature is a great release for fans of this watery beast. He has good articulation, a great sculpt and paint job, and a nice amount of extras to make him worth the price, which I got him for $24. I'm very pleased that I finally have a good version of him in my collection.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...