Skip to main content

NECA Ultimate Creature From The Black Lagoon




Delivered this week, the one and only Creature From The Black Lagoon is here to consort with my monsters. NECA gave him the Ultimate treatment, with a great look and lots of accessories.












The sculpt is fantastically done, molded in dark green with lighter tan highlights throughout the body to bring out the details. He’s covered in scales, he sports a fin along his back, gills on the sides of his face, light blue fish eyes, bone-like webbed claws and feet. This is probably one of the best Gillman figures ever released, outside of model kits. NECA went all out to make sure he’s as screen accurate as possible.




For accessories, he comes with 3 heads (closed mouth, open mouth and hinged jaw that can open and shut). He also has 4 pairs of hands (relaxed, curled fingers, open palm and one that appears to be reaching and grabbing). I’m surprised they didn’t include a net, spear gun or mummified claw like they included with the Jada toys figure. However, the wide variety of heads and claws are good enough, even though most of those claws don’t seem too different from each other until you look at them closely.














The articulation is awesome. They went out of their way to incorporate the joints so that they’re mostly hidden in the sculpt. The head is on a ball joint and can turn fully around, tilt, look down and up. He sports  ball jointed upper torso and waist, hinged, ball jointed shoulders, double jointed elbows and knees with swivel, hinged wrists and ankles, and ball jointed thighs. He can twist and turn in multiple directions, allowing him to duplicate classic Creature poses, as well as goofier human poses. He also has a hole under both of his feet to peg onto a base stand for extra support. None were included, but I tested it out on the Elvira base, and it worked well.



Growing up, I have always loved the Creature. He was a personal favorite, along with Godzilla and other monsters like The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. I used to watch these on the Bay Area channel KBHK 44. On Saturdays at about noon, they had a Creature Features style show called The Monstrous Movie, where I got to see all 3 of the Creature films, and many others such as Fiend Without A Face, Horror of Party Beach, Target Earth, Tarantula, Return of the Fly, The Beginning of the End, Curse of the Mummy, etc. When I was a kid, my parents must have bought me the Creature plastic jiggler half a dozen times (called Ocean Friend, probably due to licensing rights). They also had other Universal monsters, like Frankenstein and the Mummy. I came across clear photos of them, and they brought back a lot of nostalgia. I recall staring for hours at the Creature’s header card that showed a dead boy on a beach, and having my imaginative kid mind fascinated by it.









I’m happy that NECA decided to release him in early October, just in time for Halloween month. He now can be a part of my All Hallow’s Eve display. Since he’s about 8 inches tall, he towers over my Jada Toys Gillman, and is much more detailed. I know that NECA have also released a glow in the dark Creature, as well as a black and white variant, so Gillman fans have a variety of options to choose from.







NECA’s Ultimate Creature From The Black Lagoon is probably the best highly articulated figure of the Gillman ever released. He looks fantastic, moves well, and his many heads and hands allow a variety of display options. If you’re of fan of this classic aquatic beast, and don’t own any figures of it, this is the one to get. I preordered mine off Big Bad Toy Store, and last I checked, he’s still available. Now that he’s out, I’m sure he’ll be turning up at local Target and other collectible shops very soon. For less than $40, he’s worth every penny.










 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...