Skip to main content

Jinjiangtoy Soundgillar


Some weeks ago I was browsing on Instagram and came across a photo that someone posted from Japan. It showed a vinyl figure of the Ultra kaiju Soundgillar. I searched through various sites (including ebay), trying to find this figure, determine who made it, etc. I finally came across a listing of it on AliExpress, so I purchased one. The figure was delivered this week.












This bizarre looking thing hails from the series Ultraman Ace. Soundgillar was one of my favorite kaiju from that show, and the episode he starred in was also one of my favorites. It was this strange beast that was annoyed by loud sounds and would appear and attempt to destroy the source of the sound. It was something about him being able to eat soundwaves. Anyway, he ended up going after a motorcycle gang and their loud bikes, before Ace appeared to fight him off. His abilities included firing missiles from his fingers and shooting paralyzing energy rings from his face (at least I think that's what it was). I'm not exactly sure what the inspiration for this monster was, as its appearance is just so damn odd. And yet I love this offbeat thing.









Since it's a simple vinyl figure, it only has four points of articulation. The two arms, waist and tail can spin around. His legs are a solid piece. The funny thing about his tail is that if you turn it upwards, it causes him to lose balance and fall backwards. He would have to be leaning against something to pose the tail in any direction that isn't down and touching the floor. I know that Bear Model had made a figure of this kaiju, but that one is quite pricey (though I'd grab one if I found it at a good price). Since I know that S.H. Figuarts will NEVER make a Soundgillar, I figure that this vinyl is my best bet of owning a representation of it.









Despite being a simple figure, with not a lot of detail, I still love this little Soundgillar, which was listed as Jinjiangtoy on Mandarake. That name is also on the tag it came with, and I didn't see any Bandai logo, so I assume that Jinjiangtoy must be who made it. I would love a highly articulated version of this beloved Ace foe, but until that impossible dream comes true, this 1:12 scale critter will do. I'm glad to finally have a figure of this weird Ultraman Ace Choju.







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...