Skip to main content

Godzilla Day (Happy 70th)!


Today, November 3rd, is officially Godzilla day. 70 years ago today, Godzilla made his first screen appearance. 70 years later, the franchise is still going strong, with countless movies, cartoons, action figures, books, masks, video games, conventions, merchandise, etc.













I became a fan of Godzilla as a little kid, watching the movies on TV. I have vague memories of watching Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster and Godzilla vs. Megalon as a very young child. As I continued to get older, I became a huge fan of the films, including other Japanese daikaiju films (Gamera, X From Outer Space, etc.) and shows (Ultraman, Spectreman, etc.). But Godzilla was always my favorite, the one that started it all. I used to draw comic strips featuring Godzilla and his various friends and foes, I must have checked out that old orange Godzilla book from the library countless times as a kid (in the late 90’s, I found a copy on eBay and bought it, it’s one of my favorite items). So anyway, today I wish a big happy 70th birthday to my favorite monster of all time.













Bandai Tamashii Nations announced their latest figure in the S.H. MonsterArts line. It is none other than the Showa 1972 Anguirus. Here’s some promo photos that have shown up online. I’m hella psyched that we’re finally getting a highly articulated Anguirus from MonsterArts. He’s a fan favorite, and he’s one of the most wished for monsters in this line. Now Godzilla can have another of his buddies to chill with. As soon as this goes up for preorder, hell yes I’m going to purchase it. It looks sweet!










Once again, happy 70th to Godzilla!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...