Skip to main content

Ricsan Custom Toys GMK The Giant Horn Monster (Baragon)


The latest kaiju figure I received (via DHL) was the Ricsan Custom Toys GMK Giant Horn Monster (aka Baragon, who's name can't be used due to copyright issues). It's based on the lovable, floppy eared guardian monster from the 2001 Toho film Godzilla Mothra King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, or GMK as most fans refer to it. It's my personal favorite film of the Millennium series, and one of the best Godzilla films ever made (at least I think so).












The figure is molded in resin and painted brown, with red, off yellow and black highlights, including along his back, belly, his eyes, teeth, horns and nails. Baragon is easily recognizable due to his big Dumbo ears, nasal horn between his eyes, and accordian-like scales running down along his back. He basically resembles a dinosaur dog. As usual, Ricardo of Ricsan Custom Toys put out a highly detailed sculpt of the kaiju.


As for the paint job, these figures sometimes have a few spots here and there that need touch ups. The eyes on my copy were painted black. Not sure why they ended up like that. I went ahead and repainted them red with black pupils, to capture his look from the movie. I also added a fresh coat of bone white to the nasal horn as it had a few scratches, and touched up the fangs a bit. Since the eye sockets are much bigger, repainting them was much easier than it was with the Final Wars Anguirus figure.













Like all his other kaiju, Baragon utilizes string articulation. This allows movement in his neck, head, torso, shoulders, thighs, elbows & knees, ankles and wrists, and several segments in his tail. His mouth is on a hinge and can open and close. He can look up, forward, twist his head side to side, twist his torso a bit, lift his front legs forward and up, bend all 4 pairs of legs, and curl the tail. He can be posed on all fours or standing on just his hind legs. While he's in the 1:12 scale, Baragon is a little shorter than standard SHMA and NECA 1:12 Godzilla figures, as the kaiju was a bit smaller in the film.











This turned out to be another nice release from Ricsan Customs Toys. Baragon now makes the 7th kaiju figure I've purchased from this seller. He offers articulated versions of some of the less popular kaiju that have not been produced by any other line, at a pretty decent price. As long as he keeps putting out these nice figures, I will continue to buy them. Ricardo recently asked on his Instagram page what kaiju we would like to see from his line in the future. I said Gezora from Space Amoeba (aka Yog, Monster From Space). I'd love it if he gave us a Showa Kamakuras, Ebirah, Guilala (The X From Outer Space) or Gappa. I'm looking forward to seeing what other kaiju he puts out in the near future.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...