Skip to main content

Noroi: The Curse (2005)

I finally got around to watching this Japanese found footage horror that I’ve been curious about. It seemed every time I browsed the Facebook and Reddit horror groups, and someone asked about recommendations for Japanese or found footage horror, Noroi: The Curse always seemed to come up. I rented it on YouTube for about 2 bucks.












The story focuses on a prominent paranormal journalist named Kobayashi who goes missing shortly after completing his latest documentary. He spends time researching alleged hauntings and occult phenomena, where he interviews various witnesses and several psychics. Among those he crosses paths with are actress/psychic Marika, a weird psychic named Hori who appears mentally disturbed, a clairvoyant child named Kana who displays her psychic powers on a TV show, and a few other witnesses and historians. His investigation eventually leads him to research an annual ritual that was practiced in an old village called Shimokage, where the locals would do it to appease a demon named Kagutaba, until the village was abandoned in 1978. The further he delves into his research, the more links he finds to those he’s been interviewing, as well as several mysterious deaths and disappearances that have occurred.










This movie takes a bit of time to unveil everything. At around the 20 minute mark, I found myself wondering what all the hype was about, and hoping the movie would get better. It seemed like a bunch of random segments that had no relation to one another. Soon after, though, all the random characters and stories come together and form a cohesive narrative. From then on, the film remains creepy and compelling as the  mystery deepens. All of the acting is good, with the possible exception of the character of Hori, who at first seems goofy and over-the-top. He gets crazier as the film progresses, but by the horrific and brutal climax, his insanity enhances the effectiveness of the story. This is one of those slow burn tales that eventually gets under your skin. It’s very good and once it was over, it lingered in my mind for a while. This is one of the better Japanese / found footage horror films I’ve seen. Now I see why it received so many recommendations.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...