Skip to main content

S.H. Figuarts Mother of Ultra


 In addition to receiving the SHMA Godzilla 2000, Mother of Ultra was also delivered this past weekend. Once Father dropped last year, I knew it was only a matter of time before we got his companion. And now she is here, ready to join the ranks of the classic Showa Ultra line.











Like most Ultras of her era, Mother sports a red and silver color scheme. The sides of her face have two downward curving extensions that resemble pony tails, an eye slugger-like crest on her head, as well as two small red horns. Being female (although she was played by a skinny male in the Taro series), she is quite curvaceous, with extra emphasis on her hips and breasts. Bandai did a pretty good job with her sculpt, though she does appear less curvy and feminine than the older Ultra Act version. Still, she's undeniably a lady.
















For accessories, she comes with 5 pairs of hands (fists, karate chop, open and two relaxed pairs) and her signature Mother Beam, a pink burst of energy that serves to heal injuries. This one is molded in a translucent pink with gradiant shade, and simply plugs into her wrist. One thing I noticed about those wrist joints is that they are quite small, so maybe use a bit of caution when switching out the hands, though I have yet to break a peg from any of the multiple S.H. Figuarts that I own. She has just the right amount of extras to complete her character. I suppose they could have included another attack for Taro, or her yellow Mother Destruction Beam, but what she has is good enough.















For her articulation, she sports the usual assortment of hinges and ball joints found on most of the figures from the Ultraman line. One thing to note is that her upper torso has a very limited range, only twisting and crunching slightly. The butterfly joints on her shoulders don't extend out too far, making it impossible to cross her hands or even bring them together. The elbows, although double jointed, only bend in a little past 90 degrees. From the waist up, this causes her posing to be somewhat limited. The character didn't do much fighting in the show (though she did have a brawl with Belial later later in the series), so I guess that's why they didn't make her engineering more expressive. She can still achieve a good amount of poses, just with limited range.







S.H. Figuarts Mother of Ultra, despite having less flexibility than some of her counterparts, is still a pretty decent figure. She looks good and has a decent amount of accessories. I'm glad that Bandai has finally released most of the Showa era Ultras in their Figuarts line. The only ones left are Ultraman King, Ultraman 80 and Yullian, which I'm sure will be dropping within the next few years. I'm happy to own her and to complete the Taro family.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...