Skip to main content

Hiya Godzilla Exquisite Basic 1999


After getting delayed by a few months, Hiya’s Godzilla 1999 has finally dropped. I had preordered it well over a year ago on Kowkis Toys. Once they got their stock in, they shipped it, yet it still took about 3 weeks to arrive. Stuff from China always seems to ship super slow, much more so than from Japan. Either way, I’m happy that it’s finally in my hands.















The first thing you notice is just how damn accurate they got the sculpt. It’s almost like they shrunk the actual suit down to action figure size. Godzilla 99/2K is known for his longer snout, larger, lizard like face (gone is the cat look from the Heisei era), and his very long, jagged dorsal spines. In the films (Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla x Megaguirus), the spikes were purple, with a green wash over his body. The spikes on the figure are more metallic red, with no green shading. Still, he looks fantastic, by far the most accurate G99/2K in super articulated form. I’m also impressed with the rock-like scales at the base of where his spikes begin. In the Megaguirus film, one character climbed on them long enough to plant a tracking device on the big G, and they are sculpted exactly how they were in the movie. For accessories, he comes with a pair of closed hands, almost like fists, but also able to hold small items in them, such as weapons or drinks.


















The articulation is pretty good, though not as flexible as SHMA’s version. His torso can lean forward, turn fully around and pivot side to side. His head and neck are cut into three separate pieces that allow it to twist, turn, look up and down. His shoulders can go out to the sides in a T-pose and spin around. He sports bicep swivels, a bend at the elbows, and rotation at the wrists. His thighs can spread out a little and kick forward and back. His knees can bend, but the range isn’t a lot. His ankles can twist and pivot. And finally, his tail sports multiple segmented joints, though it can’t curl in an almost circle like the SHMA. Out of the three Hiya Godzilla figures I own, I would say this one has least amount of range, mostly due to the bulky sculpt. Despite that, he can still move fairly well. If certain joints are tight, applying a little heat will loosen them up.




As you can see in the photos above, he’s larger and thicker than the MonsterArts version. While the SHMA wins in the articulation department, the Hiya takes the trophy for most accurate sculpt, plus overall better proportions. I honestly love both figures. There’s room enough in the world for the two of them, and it’s nice that fans and collectors have a choice for which to purchase. I personally find the Hiya vs. SHMA debate rather tired and boring. Just buy what you want and shut up with the endless rants.










Final thoughts? Hiya's Godzilla 99/2K is a fantastic figure. He looks great, can move well enough, and for fans of this MireGoji suit, it's great to finally be able to own a highly articulated version of this much beloved Godzilla form. I remember when Hiya first announced him, it was an instant purchase, as I assumed that S.H. MonsterArts would never do one, only for them to announce theirs just a short time later. Well now I own them both, and couldn't be happier. I don't have any other Hiya figures on pre-order, though the Kiryu Mechagodzilla they recently announced just might tempt me. I will also wait for the actual reveal of their Burning Godzilla, to see if I want to add it to my collection. For now, I'm quite pleased with my MireGoji, GMK and G91 figures from this great company.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...