Skip to main content

Future Factory Action Figure (FFAC) Mirrorman


This is the new Mirrorman figure from Future Factory. I had initially preordered this one, thinking it would be a new figure and not a reissue of the Evolution Toy Mirrorman. Then I looked online and saw that Future Factory was taking over the action figure production from Evolution Toy's Hero Action Figure (HAF) line, so I just cancelled my preorder, as I already own the Evolution Toy HAF version, and assumed they would simply put out the exact same figure. Then about 2 weeks ago, I happened upon a review of this new release on YouTube, and was surprised to see that it was an entirely new sculpt, smaller than the HAF release (more in scale with SHF 1:12 figures). So I found one on ebay and purchased it. Now that I have it in hand, it's a great figure, and a big upgrade over Evolution Toy's version.











Mirrorman is the title hero from the 1971 Tsuburaya tokusatsu show. Using the power of mirrors or reflective surfaces, the human host turns into the superhero Mirrorman, fighting off various kaiju and alien foes. The first thing that I noticed is that this figure has much better body proportions. His sculpt is more accurate to the character from the series than the Evolution Toy HAF version, which was more stylized. He's also smaller in size, and scales perfectly with SHF Ultra figures. Mirrorman is silver and green, with gold in his eyes, the star on his forehead and his belt. Everything is painted well on the figure. He looks like what I imagined an SHF Mirrorman figure would look like, if they were to ever release one. I also noticed that they didn't use cheap plastic on the wrist pegs like they did with the HAF release. Both of the wrist pegs on that one eventually ended up snapping easily, forcing me to use sticky tack to keep the hands on. The hands on this FFAF release fit easily onto the wrist pegs, and pulling them off is just as easy and anxiety free.








His accessories include 5 pairs of hands (fists, relaxed, 2 karate chop, and 1 to hold his beam weapon), a clear base and stand, two translucent Mirror Shot beams (one for each hand), and a translucent orange Finisher Horizontal Cut, which is an energy slash that he throws at enemies to slice & dice them. This one has a peg underneath that can be attached to one of the stand attachments. The HAF version had the Mirror Shot accessories, but not the energy slice, so it was nice to get an extra beam attack. The claws for the stand are kind of wide, so they don't hold the figure too securely. I prefer to just use one of my extra Tamashii stands that I have.






The articulation is really great, on part with an S.H. Figuarts release. His head is on a ball joint and could look far up. Paired with the neck joint, he can turn and tilt easily. The double jointed elbows and knees bend in far, and the butterfly joints on the shoulders allow him to easily cross his arms. The thighs can split wide in a perfect T pose. He also sports upper torso and waist ball joints, as well as swivel hinge ankles. This figure can achieve very expressive poses, and is much more flexible than the older HAF version. Even if you own the older Evolution Toy version and like that one, the upgraded engineering makes this one absolutely worth getting.
















Future Factory Action Figure (FFAF) Mirrorman turned out to be a great release. He's a huge improvement over the HAF version in almost every way. Now that they've taken over Evolution Toy's action figure line, I'm excited about what figures they might re-release in the future with the upgraded sculpts, engineering, and better quality materials. They're set to drop a Redman figure very soon, and I think I'll be grabbing one of those. I'm hoping they redo Fireman, Spectreman, and Jumborg Ace in this new line, so I can have those rarer tokusatsu heroes that are more in scale with my SHF Ultra figures. While the last Evolution Toy figure (Zone Fighter version 2) that I purchased was really good quality, I'm excited for the future of this new line.












 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...