Skip to main content

S.H. Figuarts Gamerverse Spiderman


While I was browsing at my local One Piece Game Shop, I came across the S.H. Figuarts Gamerverse Spiderman figure, so I decided to pick it up, having seen a few reviews online and liking what I'd seen.








This figure seems to have generated a bit of controversy, with many arguing back and forth on whether it's a good release or not. Some say it's good but falls short of glory, while others flat out trash it, for any number of reasons (proportions, engineering, paint, accessories, cost, to name a few). Being an import, yes, it will be pricier than the average Marvel Legends figure, though the prices on those are starting to climb up as well. As for the body proportions, yes, he's quite thick and exaggerated in some ways, but he's also based on a video game design, so the sculpt to me is accurate to the source material. He's painted well, with the classic red and blue with various web lines that Spidey is known for. Speaking of those web lines, they are painted, though more of a darker red instead of black. Personally, I think the web lines look good, and I also enjoy his thick upper torso, big muscular arms, thin waist and thicker legs.













The accessories include 2 different head sculpts, with one having wider eyes than the other. It probably would've been better if the portraits were a bit more expressive, because they don't look all that much different. Also included are 5 pairs of hands (fists, web shooting "thwip", open palm, wall crawling and closed fists with a thumb up and open enough to hold a web). One straight web, and another round, shield-like web. There's also a plastic attachment to hold that web shield, and a translucent piece with painted energy effects that plugs into his back to display him having Spidey Sense. There's also a small red handle for popping out the small plug in his back to attach that Spidey Sense accessory, but honestly, it's really hard to get it to get a good grip on the small opening enough to lift it up and out. I actually had to use a toothpick to get that small plug out of his back. He also has a cardboard display with painted shooting webs. He also has a clear base and stand. I really like the variety of hands, as well as the round spiderweb.









His articulation was another point of contention with some reviewers, complaining that he doesn't bend far enough in some instances. I think his engineering is just fine; you can still get good poses out of him. His butterfly shoulder joints allow the arms to stretch out and cross pretty far, his legs can kick forward, backward and spread pretty wide, and his torso and waist crunch and twist enough for some cool action poses. I think some people are just not that good at posing figures, something that I have been guilty of as well. There will be a figure that I'll own for a while, and then I'll catch a photo of that same figure online that someone posted, with a wild, expressive pose, and I'm be surprised that the figure can articulate that well, or I'll think "why didn't I think of that?". But back to Spidey, his engineering is pretty great.



















S.H. Figuarts Gamerverse Spiderman is a solid release. The sculpt is good, the paint is clean, the articulation is great, and the accessories are enough to make the figure worth owning. The only Spiderman figures I've owned have been Marvel Legends and a Mafex one from the Infinity War film. This one is probably the best one I've owned, definitely my favorite. I'm more into Godzilla, Ultraman and various tokusatsu characters & kaiju these days, but I will spend money on an occasional superhero, such as Batman, Wonder Woman, Deadpool, and a decent Spidey when I come across one. This one checked all the boxes for me.










 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...