Skip to main content

NECA Godzilla 2003 (Tokyo SOS)


When this was first announced, I wasn't planning on getting it as I already owned the Tamashii Nations Goji 2002. However, NECA then announced that they were no longer going to produce Godzilla products, and coupled with several reviews I saw of this figure, I decided to pick it up. Now that I have it in hand, I can say that is is a fantastic figure, wonderfully sculpted and painted. Godzilla 2003 (from the Tokyo SOS film) is a must have.






This figure is larger than the S.H. Monsterarts. Also, the Tamashii Nations version is based on the suit from the Mechagodzilla film, while this one is based on the follow up film, where Godzilla has a scar on his chest from his last battle with Kiryu. NECA's version is a lighter charcoal gray color, with yellow on the eyes and teeth, tan toe & fingernails, a brownish wash over the body, and purple highlights on the chest scar. All the paint apps are really nice, and the eyes are nice and clean, no derpy look to them. The pupils seem to be looking up and forward, with a menacing look that gives him a fierce appearance.






The articulation is pretty good. His head is on a ball joint and it has a decent range, able to look in all directions. His mouth is hinged and opens a good amount, and closes all the way. His upper shoulders hang over his torso and, while it looks odd, especially when moving side to side, it does help for the sculpt to flow better. As long as you don't move it too far to the sides, it shouldn't look bad. The torso can twist and move forward and back, the shoulders are on ball joints and move in, out and around, the elbows, wrists, fingers and knees are on hinges, the thighs can move forward and back, the feet are on ball joints and can tilt, and finally, the very long tail has 9 joints, with the tip of it having a bendy wire in it. Very much like their Godzilla 89, this 2003 release has a great range in that tail. You can put it in a lot of positions and poses.







Like all the new releases, the box art has a reproduction of the film's poster. This is one of NECA's more bulkier Godzilla figures, he feels heavy and sturdy. He is in scale with my Figuarts, Monsterarts, Marvel Legends & Evolution Toy characters. I'm very happy I got him, he looks really great. I had considered getting the special colored Hyper Maser Blast version, which has green, blue and yellowish colors, but after seeing enough reviews, I decided to go with this one instead.







The Maser Blast and Biollante bile are now released, and are the final Godzilla figures we will get from NECA (unless they acquire the license sometime again in the future). I am a bit bummed about that, as I felt the quality of their Godzilla figures had gotten much better, and I was looking forward to seeing what they'd give us next. But, at least for the time being, that won't happen. Back in my review of their 89 figure, I said it then and I'll say it again; NECA has ended their Godzilla run on a very high note. These final releases are fantastic, so be sure to pick them up soon, while their prices are still affordable. NECA Godzilla 2003 is a truly fantastic and fun figure. Skreeeeouuunge!!!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...