Skip to main content

Marvel Legends Retro Wave Green Goblin


This week I received the Marvel Legends Retro Wave Green Goblin. He was one of Spiderman's most famous villains, and was released in the latest Retro Wave set. I remember seeing him in the cartoons as a kid. I distinctly recall an episode where he was flying around on his Goblin Glider, and was trying to turn people into monsters or something with a potion he had concocted. He's a classic Spidey villain, and he looks cool, so I ordered myself one.






This figure comes with a pumpkin bomb, his silver Goblin Glider, and unmasked  Norman Osborn head. His face, arms and legs are bright green, with dark pink torso, gloves and boots, a pink belt and pink satchel. His pumpkin bomb has a carved Jack-O-Lantern face on it with what looks like green flames, and his Goblin Glider is silver with two straps where his feet go into. I have an old extra stand from another Marvel Legends figure (the Demogoblin BAF, as well as his fiery glider), however, I wasn't able to get his Goblin Glider to fit into the peg for that stand as the hole underneath the glider seemed too small. Perhaps if I tried heating it up? Either way, the accessories he comes with are good enough.






His satchel is a loose piece that can be taken off by removing the head. The collar around his neck is also a loose piece. That seems like an odd design choice, being as it tends to move around when trying to pose the head, causing you to make sure to hold it down in place so that it doesn't slide up the neck. It would've been easier if they had just molded it as part of the upper torso. His satchel can also be a chore when articulating the body, but that can be removed if it gets to be a hassle. The paint is very bright and vivid, though I have noticed that on the legs, where there's the upper thigh cut, the top pieces are a different shade of green than the rest of his legs. It's pretty noticeable from the photos. As for the sculpt, Marvel Legends did a great job. The scaly pattern on his arms and legs, to the creases on his gloves and boots, and even his satchel are nicely detailed. The face is also well painted and sculpted, though I know that a lot of people have issues with his eyes, specifically, his pupils being so big. Green Goblin has smaller pupils; these make him look extra nightmarish. I personally don't mind as I find their creepiness appealing for this character.







His articulations is pretty good. Ball jointed head, shoulders and thighs all have good range, his upper torso can swivel far back and crunch forward a bit, his waist can swivel all the way around, he has double jointed elbows and knees, upper arm and thigh cuts, another cut where the gloves and boots are, and his feet can swivel and rock. He can balance well on one foot, do kicks, crouching and action poses. He's a lot of fun to mess with. I find that goofy, ridiculous poses seem to go well with that horrific face of his, like something you'd see in a bad dream.







I really like this figure. As for the others in this wave, the only one I ordered was Gwen Stacy. They also have a Peter Parker, but they gave him these awful thick, white lensed glasses that just look odd. The others are Electro and Daredevil, which i'm not a big fan of. This Green Goblin, though, is very cool. I like him as much as I like the fantastic Spiderman release.



If you can overlooks the bright colors, the loose collar and those huge, bulging eyes, you might enjoy this figure. None of those are things I find bothersome, and his articulation is great, so for me, he was an easy buy. Marvel Legends Retro Wave Green Goblin is a fun, unique toy. I'm glad I got him and will enjoy posing him with the rest of my action figures.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla Minus One

Right before the opening of the new Toho film Godzilla Minus One in the US, I received the figure from Bandai Tamashii Nations from that film. It was officially released last weekend, and about a day before that, some photos were popping up online of the final product, appearing with a very dark and bad paint job. Drama rose up in one of the kaiju figure groups I'm a part of, with one idiot in particular proclaiming that the S.H. MonsterArts line was done, despite having not gotten the actual figure in hand before he could judge for himself. After multiple posts trashing the figure and stating that Bandai was dead, he received the figure and then gave it a good rating (8 out of 10), making himself look like a damn fool in the process. I admit that those initial photos had me worried, but I decided to wait until I saw some YouTube reviews to see how it actually turned out to make my judgement (I pre-ordered it from a site where you don't pay for it until it's actually in sto

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 1991 Shinjuku Decisive Battle version

The latest Godzilla figure I pre-ordered from the S.H. MonsterArts line has arrived. It is the 1991 Shinjuku Decisive Battle version, to go along with the Mecha King Ghidorah release from earlier this year. While the suit is almost the same as the one used in 1989's Godzilla vs. Biollante, they made some slight adjustments. Compared to the BioGoji figure, this one is much thicker, therefore, he does look different from that other release. His sculpt is the classic 90's era Heisei look, with small head, thick thighs, large dorsal spines and a long tail. Like all the other Godzilla suits of that decade, he has a cat-like face, both cute and menacing. While the King of the Monsters has had multiple looks throughout his 50+ years, it's the Heisei era that seems the most iconic. Artwork, toys, comics, etc, have all utilized this particular design. Similar to the 89 suit, this 91 figure has a small set of dorsal spines, followed by a much larger one, and then gradually getting sm

S.H. Monsterarts Rodan &Mothra 2019 set

My Rodan and Mothra set finally arrived after being delayed for a few weeks. After spending a few days going over them, I've had time to really assess them. They're both decent, but there are some issues. Let's dig in! As far as sculpt, Rodan fairs better than Mothra. Everything from the wings, face, torso and legs on Rodan are well done and nicely capture his condor-like look from the film. The face, legs and body of Mothra is sculpted in a very simple, dull manner, lacking any real detail or pattern. Part of it I think is that her body is so small it doesn't leave much room for details. Another thing that was pointed out to me by someone on social media is that Monsterarts may have based their Mothra on early concept artwork as opposed to her actual look in the film. The result is a smooth, crude design that, upon close inspection, resembles a Play-Do sculpture. If this was the case, Tamashii Nations really should've waited until they saw w