Skip to main content

NECA Hyper Maser Blast Godzilla 2003

I was in my local Target the other day, buying myself some new frying pans, when I strolled across the action figure section and saw that they were carrying some NECA figures, including the final 2 special Godzilla variants of 2003 and Biollante Bile Goji 89. I went ahead and picked up this Hyper Maser Blast Godzilla 2003, since I liked the interesting paint scheme and I really liked that figure. 






This is the same sculpt as the previous 2003 release, the color scheme being the only difference, mostly yellow on the torso and underside of his jaw, jagged yellow lines across his body, and some blue highlights on some of his fins, as well as what appears to be tan-hued "dust" on his feet an toes. NECA's 2003 Godzilla was a fantastic figure, so when I saw this version at Target, I figured I should pick it up, just to have a different variant. He has the same great articulation, it just may need some minor heating on the knee joints to loosen them up (as well as to apply the tail segment).




Here are some close-up shots of the paint applications. For the most part it looks pretty good, though they could've gone easier on the underside of his jaw; it's such a bright yellow to the point it looks like he rested his chin on fresh paint. The bluish highlights on his dorsal spines are cool, though I wish it covered all of the spines instead of just the middle ones and few down the tail. I guess it's to duplicate his lighting up, preparing to blast. The yellow lines across his body look cool. As for the "dust" effect on his shins and feet, I actually like it, especially the painted lines on the toes. Another cool thing about his paint job is this.....





This figure really stands out when placed in front of a black light, the yellow glows nicely. Though I did notice that the lines on his left foot either have more paint or are a slightly different shade, as they glow much brighter than his right toes. If you own a black light, this is a fun way to display this guy, or to take some cool photos.





The box art for this figure is also different, showing Godzilla roaring among explosions, with battle damaged Kiryu and Mothra in the background. The regular release has a blue reproduction of the film's poster, that also shows the Twin Fairies, Mothra larva and some cast members. 





I like that NECA would occasionally release special color variants of certain action figures, such as a green reactor glow version of their 90's Godzilla, and video game colored variants of Freddie Krueger and Jason Voorhees. Their Godzilla 2003 is such a great figure that I don't mind owning 2 different variants. It is one of NECA's best in terms of sculpt and articulation, so if you like the wild colors of this version, go ahead and pick it up. If you're satisfied with the standard release, that's fine, too. I'm a huge Godzilla fan, so of course I picked it up when I had the chance. This one is fun.




Enjoy this short stop motion I did using Hyper Maser Blast Goji 2003.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla Minus One

Right before the opening of the new Toho film Godzilla Minus One in the US, I received the figure from Bandai Tamashii Nations from that film. It was officially released last weekend, and about a day before that, some photos were popping up online of the final product, appearing with a very dark and bad paint job. Drama rose up in one of the kaiju figure groups I'm a part of, with one idiot in particular proclaiming that the S.H. MonsterArts line was done, despite having not gotten the actual figure in hand before he could judge for himself. After multiple posts trashing the figure and stating that Bandai was dead, he received the figure and then gave it a good rating (8 out of 10), making himself look like a damn fool in the process. I admit that those initial photos had me worried, but I decided to wait until I saw some YouTube reviews to see how it actually turned out to make my judgement (I pre-ordered it from a site where you don't pay for it until it's actually in sto

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 1991 Shinjuku Decisive Battle version

The latest Godzilla figure I pre-ordered from the S.H. MonsterArts line has arrived. It is the 1991 Shinjuku Decisive Battle version, to go along with the Mecha King Ghidorah release from earlier this year. While the suit is almost the same as the one used in 1989's Godzilla vs. Biollante, they made some slight adjustments. Compared to the BioGoji figure, this one is much thicker, therefore, he does look different from that other release. His sculpt is the classic 90's era Heisei look, with small head, thick thighs, large dorsal spines and a long tail. Like all the other Godzilla suits of that decade, he has a cat-like face, both cute and menacing. While the King of the Monsters has had multiple looks throughout his 50+ years, it's the Heisei era that seems the most iconic. Artwork, toys, comics, etc, have all utilized this particular design. Similar to the 89 suit, this 91 figure has a small set of dorsal spines, followed by a much larger one, and then gradually getting sm

S.H. Monsterarts Rodan &Mothra 2019 set

My Rodan and Mothra set finally arrived after being delayed for a few weeks. After spending a few days going over them, I've had time to really assess them. They're both decent, but there are some issues. Let's dig in! As far as sculpt, Rodan fairs better than Mothra. Everything from the wings, face, torso and legs on Rodan are well done and nicely capture his condor-like look from the film. The face, legs and body of Mothra is sculpted in a very simple, dull manner, lacking any real detail or pattern. Part of it I think is that her body is so small it doesn't leave much room for details. Another thing that was pointed out to me by someone on social media is that Monsterarts may have based their Mothra on early concept artwork as opposed to her actual look in the film. The result is a smooth, crude design that, upon close inspection, resembles a Play-Do sculpture. If this was the case, Tamashii Nations really should've waited until they saw w