Skip to main content

Gamera Rebirth Netflix


September 7th finally arrived, and the new Gamera anime has dropped. I'd been eager to catch this, as I'm a big fan of kaiju media, and being that Gamera doesn't get nearly as much love as Godzilla these days, I was thrilled when this series was announced. I grew up watching the Showa films of the 60's and early 70's, and always enjoyed the weird creatures that Gamera would be pitted against. Then the 90's Heisei trilogy came, and my love of Gamera grew immensely. The last Gamera film that was released, 2006's Gamera The Brave, was kind of a letdown for me. I wasn't a fan of the return to more kid-friendly vibes after the serious, adult tone of the 90's trilogy. I sat and watched the first 3 episodes of this new series on Thursday afternoon, and thus far, I'm enjoying it.










The story begins in Japan in 1989, where we're introduced to 3 kids, Boco, Joe and Junichi. They are on summer break and are trying to save up money to purchase a communication device so that they can stay in touch with each other once school begins. One day they come across a large turtle that's stuck in some tree roots and set about to free it. Once they've acquired enough money to buy their device, they get ambushed by a group of American teenagers, led by Brody, who's the son of a military captain. The 3 friends get their money stolen, and then devise a plan to get it back from the bullies. They track the teenagers to an arcade, and just as they're about to get into another brawl, a large explosion rumbles through the city. Running outside, they see a bunch of military jets engaged in battle with an army of Gyaos creatures, who are attacking and eating the citizens. The monsters had previously been discovered in New Guinea on an expedition. The military's efforts to thwart the Gyaos fail when a much larger one appears and attacks their jets. Suddenly, Gamera the giant turtle appears in the city and kills the small ones and engages in battle with the large one, defeating it and then flying away. After his buddies abandoned him, Brody befriends Boco, Joe and Junichi. Two scientists, Emiko and Tazaki, who are studying the kaiju, partner with the kids, as they realize that everywhere they go, kaiju, and especially Gamera, follow.









What I found enjoyable about the series thus far is that it combines the kid-friendly plots of the Showa era, with the more mature adult content of the Heisei trilogy, resulting in an entertaining series that does a good job of balancing both human scenes and kaiju action. None of the kids are portrayed as nauseatingly cutesy (they actually dropped a few cuss words), the monster attacks were all well done and exciting (you actually see the Gyaos eating and dismembering people), the new kaiju designs look great in action, and the storyline is not overly saturated with too many characters and subplots. Zigra so far is my favorite of the kaiju antagonists. Its new design looks great in action, including its sonar attack and the character's efforts to evade its assault. Gamera is also great, his chest and throat glowing before shooting fireballs, and the scenes of him in flight, either speeding into battle or using electrical shockwaves to evade a military attack. The big turtle has been shown respect with this anime series. I can't, however, help but feel irritated that Godzilla got such a raw deal with his anime outings, which degenerated into long, drawn out bore fests with uninteresting storylines, unlikeable characters, and pathetic monster action (Godzilla Earth in particular just standing there like a statue and doing very little). I'm pleasantly surprised with this Gamera series, and I hope that it's successful enough to get at least another season or two. And you know that I would love for his co-stars to get figures in the S.H. MonsterArts line. Here's hoping that Gamera fans come out in droves to support his latest outing.







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...