Skip to main content

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Monsters…. But Were Afraid (1981)




While scrolling through YouTube, this 1981 TV special came up on my recommendations from a channel called The Museum of Classic Chicago Television, so I checked it out and really enjoyed it.












It was basically a 49 minute special that covered monsters from all areas, including movies, dinosaurs, and alleged cryptids. It was hosted by Charles Osgood, and included footage from various monster films such as Nosferatu, King Kong, Godzilla, Frankenstein, Them, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It also featured several interviews with special effects legend Rick Baker, James Warren (form Famous Monsters Magazine), Jeff Rovine (science fiction and film writer), Daniel Cohen (writer), and Dr. Roy Mackle, a biologist from the University of Chicago. Various topics discussed were the appeal and history of movie monsters, special effects work (including footage from an exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in NY honoring the work of Ray Harryhausen), dinosaurs, and footage of alleged real life cryptids, including the Patterson-Grimlin film of Bigfoot, and water monsters such as Nessie, Chessie of Chesapeake Bay, and Champ from Lake Champlain.











The section on Rick Baker was especially fun, as the host interviewed him in his workshop. You saw many people working on models and masks, a very young Rick Baker spoke about his various techniques, and he gave demonstrations of some of his highly detailed masks, putting them on and explaining how they operated. It was cool to see all the work that goes into making his movie monsters come to life.












Another section that I really enjoyed were some brief, behind-the-scenes footage from the set of Ultraman Taro, explaining how they put everything together to film a scene. They also showed footage of Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, and if I had seen this special as a kid, I would’ve been beyond ecstatic. In 1981, I was aware of the existence of the film because of the Random House book, but had never seen it. It wouldn’t be until the late 80’s that it finally played on TV and I got to watch it.








This was a fun, entertaining TV show that I didn’t get to see when it first aired (I was born and raised in California). Growing up as a weird, creepy kid who happily devoured anything monster related, this TV special would’ve been right up my alley. It’s an entertaining little time capsule from a bygone era that’s sure to appeal to the nostalgic monster lover in you.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...