Skip to main content

All Eyes (2022)





With spooky month full under way, I'm trying to catch as many horror movies as I can. In addition to regular favorites, I always try to watch ones I've never seen before, and since horror movies are a dime a dozen, there’s always something new to find. This 2022 indie on Tubi sounded interesting, so I gave it a try.










Allen Wolfe is a Podcaster who hosts a show where he interviews people who claim to have an unusual story. After his latest episode goes horribly wrong when the guest he's speaking to via web cam goes off the deep end, Allen is fired. In an attempt to get his disgraced career back on track, he agrees to interview an older recluse named Don who's written him a letter with an enclosed check. Don lives on a ranch and claims that he has a monster living in the woods near his property. Since Don's deceased wife was a big fan of Allen's podcast, he agrees to let Allen tell his story, despite admitting that he doesn't think too highly of the podcaster. When Allen gets to the ranch, he finds Don to be cranky, a bit unhinged, but is intrigued enough to stay and get a story. And boy, does he get one.









This is one of those films where it's best to go in blind. Just when you think it's going one direction, it takes a few surprising turns. Despite its obvious limited budget, the actors do their best to keep the viewer engaged, as does the script. The actor who plays Don (Ben Hall) is particularly great, slowly showing depth as his character is further explored throughout the movie’s runtime. While it comes off as comedic and slightly hokey at first, the film charms you enough to keep you invested, especially when those surprises come. All Eyes is one of the more fun indie horror films I've seen in a while. I streamed it on Tubi.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...