Skip to main content

S.H. MonsterArts Mothra 1992


While browsing on eBay, I came across a listing for an unopened, new condition S.H. MonsterArts adult Mothra for a decent price. The seller was from a shop in Irvine, CA., not far from me, so I purchased the figure and it arrived in less than a week. I’ve always wanted to get the adult Mothra from the SHMA line, and this listing was too good to pass up, so now it’s mine. I had considered the possibility of getting the Super7 Mothra, but that figure won’t drop until December, and their stuff tends to be hit and miss. I’m happy to finally own the adult queen of the Monsters.











The figure is sculpted after Mothra’s look from the 1992 film, Godzilla vs. Mothra. Her body is more brown and orange, she sports yellow talon-like claws on her legs, bright blue compact eyes, and of course, those distinctive large, black, orange, yellow and red patterned wings. Everything is sculpted and painted beautifully. Those wings are hard plastic, so make sure she’s sitting securely on the base, so as to not risk the figure tumbling down and experiencing breakage. Speaking of the display stand that’s included, the base is black with yellow artwork of Mothra and Battra, as well as her name. The plastic cradle goes under her legs and abdomen, and then plugs into the stand. It’s a bit flimsy, and not as secure as the one that came with Battra, so be wary of that when displaying her. Perhaps not too high, to avoid a big fall if she should tumble. The base and stand are the only accessories she comes with.











For her articulation, the 2 pairs of wings on each side are on hinges, can move up and down, and are pretty solid as far as holding a pose. I wish that they had slightly more range as far as bending down, and while the bottom pair bends down far, the top pair doesn’t, as the hinge gets in the way of it bending too low. That’s about the only complain I have, and it’s not that big a deal. Her mandibles are on hinges that allow the mouth to open, and she sports ball joints on her neck, head, antennas, several on her abdomen, and 2 hinges on each of her six legs, allowing them stretch out and curl inward. I had watched a few YouTube reviews where several collectors complained about at least one of her legs easily popping out of the base, but thus far, my figure hasn’t had that problem. All the legs stayed on the multiple times I posed her. There were several complaints about the adult Battra’s legs falling off easily as well, but mine didn’t have that issue, either, so I guess I lucked out. Or maybe I just have a light touch….










After wanting an S.H. MonsterArts adult Mothra for years, I’m happy to report that now that I own her, she is totally worth it. She looks absolutely majestic with those big, colorful wings, the articulation is good, and so was the price. Mothra’s look has remained mostly the same, albeit some color changes, and more or less fluff on her body, until the film Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, in which her body was much more wasp-like in appearance. For the Monsterverse, they really changed her look, with a tiny, skinny body and very large wings. I’ve never cared for that version of Mothra (or most of the Monsterverse kaiju cast save for a small handful). I’m more than pleased to have in my possession the classic version of this popular Toho monster. With this purchase, I now own most of the Heisei era SHMA releases, except for Burning Godzilla, Destoroyah, and King Ghidorah (though I’ve preordered the HIYA one).











Here’s a stop motion short I did. Enjoy…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...