Hiya Toys recently dropped their Monster X figure. When it was first announced, I didn't have much interest in it, nor did I preorder it. And then it was released, and when I saw a few YouTube reviews showcasing how fantastic it ended up being, I went ahead and purchased one. I own the S.H. MonsterArts version, and that figure has some pretty annoying QC issues, as well as limited articulation. Hiya's version greatly improved those issues, making it the superior release.
Monster X is from the 2004 film Godzilla Final Wars. He ended up being the Xillian alien's secret weapon to destroy Godzilla, and ultimately transformed into Kaiser Ghidorah for the final battle. Standing several inches taller than the SHMA, Hiya's Monster X is exceptionally detailed. The sculpt of the bony armor, as well as the muscular black body, including arms, torso and stomach, all look fantastic. The bone segments have weathered shading that helps bring out those details. The Hiya version is a much darker grey than the SHMA's lighter white, and while I think the MonsterArts' color scheme is nicer, that's about the only thing that it has over Hiya. Having them stand side by side, SHMA looks like a plastic toy, while Hiya resembles are more expensive, high-grade figure. And yet, the Hiya Monster X is less expensive.
The accessories aren't much, but they still trump the SHMA. Monster X has 2 pairs of hands, one a more relaxed pose, and the other an open fingered action pose. You can immediately tell the difference between them. The SHMA also has two pairs of hands, but those are almost indistinguishable. The other extra he comes with is a large black stand and base. It contains small screws that you can adjust, and when tightened, it really holds the weight of the figure without drooping. The only ability Monster X had was that he shot lasers out of his 4 eyes. They could have included that, but they might release beams with a later version. The only accessory I would have really liked would have been a pair of fists, since this is a kaiju that brawls.
What can I say? Hiya Toys' Monster X looks better, moves better, and is cheaper than the flimsy SHMA. If you're a fan of this humanoid beast, then skip Bandai's overpriced crap and spend your money on this one. You'll get more bang for your buck. I've also preordered the Hiya Final Wars Godzilla, since that one looks to be nice, and considering their figures have continued to improve with each new release, I'm sure it will turn out good. I've loved every Hiya figure I've purchased thus far. And finally, SHMA's Godzilla FW version is like a stack of poorly piled Jenga blocks. The slightest touch will cause it to crumble into pieces. When I first got it, the joint tolerance was pretty good, but over time, it's loosened so much that the head, torso, hands and tail go flying off with the slightest touch. Screw that! If Hiya's FW Godzilla is anywhere near as great as their Monster X, then it will be worth every penny. Because Monster X sure as hell is.























































Comments
Post a Comment