Skip to main content

NECA Ben Cooper Halloween figure


While browsing at Target, I came across this cool little figure from NECA. Based on the retro Ben Cooper Halloween costumes, it's a little kid dressed in one (The Metaluna alien from This Island Earth). Since I simply love Halloween, I had to get it.





It comes in a cool box with retro artwork on each side, showing various drawings of famous monsters, such as Wolfman, Creature from The Black Lagoon, Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. The back shows other figures that are available in the series. This one is a girl wearing a plastic mask and costume of the big-brained alien creature from the 1950's sci-fi movie This Island Earth. The mask is attached to the face. There are holes for eyes and she has her hair in pigtails. The costume is red and has an illustration of the Metaluna Alien on the front. The outfit attaches at the back via velcro. I remember wearing a few of these cheap style costumes as a kid for Halloween, including a vampire and an ape. It's always been a running joke amongst those of us who wore them that you could hardly see out of them, and they were so hot that when you took off the mask, your face would be drenched in sweat. Ahhh, those old childhood memories.







The accessories included are two white and orange plastic candy bags that say Trick or Treat and have printed illustrations of jack-o-lanterns, a witch, a devil, a black cat and a bat. Inside the box there's also a foldable cardboard diorama insert that displays the front store of a costume shop, with masks in the windows. That's a particularly nice addition if you want to display your figure in front of it.






The articulation includes head on a ball joint, swivel hinge ball joint elbows and thighs, double jointed elbows, single joint knees, and hinged wrists and ankles. Because the head is large, it does make it a bit of a challenge to get the figure to stand on its own. You have to make sure the feet are firmly flat. You won't be able to get any wild poses due to the plastic costume impeding some of the movement of the arms and legs, but the articulation the figure has is good enough. And besides, I'll mostly pose mine simply standing, holding the bag. All in all, I'd say this figure is a must buy if you dig action figures and Halloween. I also love retro stuff so this is right up my alley. I wouldn't mind getting a few more if I ever came across them. I know that they sell single ones, as well as ones that come in a multi-pack. I've seen one of a kid wearing a cheap plastic Godzilla mask and costume. I believe that one was first released in 1978.






Happy Halloween season!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultraman Omega finale

Episode 25, the series finale of Ultraman Omega aired this Friday. From the very first episode I was hooked, and the series continued to maintain a high quality until the surprisingly emotional end. Sorato (Omega) regained all his memories, learning that he was one of many Space Gazers, who's job is to watch a planet and not interfere with any wars between the species (in Earth's case, humans and kaiju). A space Gazer's job is to observe, study and take notes, to learn from a planet's successes and mistakes, in the hopes of finding the right formula to achieve universal peace. Having returned to his previous role as simply a watcher, Kosei, Ayumu and Sayuki were forced to rely on themselves and their team to defeat the powerful kaiju Zomera. As he continued to watch the battle, Sorato/Omega found himself wrestling with the inactive role he was meant to do and his memories of the friendships he had forged with the others, as well as the examples of human kindness he had ...

Help Me… I’m Possessed (1974) / #Missingcouple (2024)

I've watched some weird, obscure horror movies throughout my life. I can now add this lurid 1974 schlockfest to that growing list. In a castle in the desert, Dr. Arthur Blackwood runs a sanitarium filled with mentally disturbed patients (as well as staff). He claims to be working on finding a way to cure people of any violent tendencies they have, and brags about his younger sister, innocent, child-like Melanie, as evidence that his treatment works. When she was a child, their parents had to keep her locked up and chained in the basement, to control her violent fits. Now that he's cured her, Arthur has his wife Diane come to the castle to meet Melanie, so that they can be one big, happy family. Diane begins to grow suspicious that something is amiss after a Sheriff shows up investigating the murder of 2 local teens, and sets about on her own investigation, hoping to uncover the sinister secrets that she feels her husband is hiding. Help Me... I'm Possessed is an outrageous,...

S.H. Figuarts Father of Ultra

Last week I received the latest SHF Showa Ultra figure, the one and only Father of Ultra, who made his debut in the series Ultraman Ace. He’s the 1st of the two Ultra related August releases I had pre-ordered (the other being Ace Killer). Father of Ultra is easily recognized by the huge horns on his head. The rest of his body is the standard red and silver color scheme that the other original Ultra brothers have (different colors wouldn’t be introduced until Ultraman Tiga decades later). Bandai did a fine job in capturing his look, much more accurate than the highly stylized Ultra Act version, which made him quite muscular. For his accessories, he comes with 6 pairs of hands (fists, two sets of holding, 2 sets of flat/karate chop, and grappling). He has an extra right flat hand that shoots out his signature beam, called the Father Shot. What makes this different from other releases is that the beam and hand are 2 separate pieces, with a clear plastic peg on the side of the fingers that...